Welcome to LIFElihood where we explore the interconnections between Work, Time, Money, and Intention.
I’ve always been a big-time journaler. It lets me capture my questions, ideas, reflections, ideas, and obsessions along with the really boring details of life like “Oh yeah, go to the DMV to update my driver license.” Or, “Hmm, what should I make for the potluck this weekend?”
Two years ago I captured all the questions I had asked myself during my mid-life crisis, or as I called it, my Mid-life Disruption. Then I turned those questions into a book to help others through their own process of discovering and uncovering what is meaningful to them.
So many books helped me over the years because they helped me ask questions I didn’t even think to ask. Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robins changed my life forever. They were the first ones to invite me to take a really deep look at my relationship to money and work and time. That was sometime in the late 1990s. And those questions formed so much of what I’ve done or not done in the past couple of decades.
Then over this summer I released LIFElihood: 31 Days to Explore Work, Time, Money, and Intention to Create Your Best Life. It felt fantastic to have it out there. I’d published a bunch of other books over the past five or six years but this one is one of my favorites.
And now it is evolving into its next iteration. It’s growing legs or tentacles and evolving into a PODCAST and a whole new generation of BOOKS and CAREER GUIDES to help you explore and find what is right for you in this crazy, kooky world!
What is LIFElihood?
From the book:
For years, it was a tug-of-war between the relative, mundane world and the distant reality I wanted. It felt like the only way to be happy was for my big dream to come true. How to be happy with things just as they were? Never allowing myself to be deeply joyful because I thought I was a sellout was a sad way to live. A pretty harsh judgment, right? Do you beat up on yourself like that?
It’s OK to be just as you are right now in this time of your life. It’s OK to be happy. It’s also OK to have something you’re working towards, some bigger vision for the work you do. It’s fantastic when you realize life is more than work, more than money, and that time is abundant.
For too long, I pondered how all the pieces of our lives fit together. I spent the past few years studying, contemplating, and delving deeper into the ideas of creativity, living my purpose, and making a living. It dawned on me I had to look at how my ideas about work, money, time, and my vision for my life fit together. It’s not just about a job or a bank account or a lifestyle. To live my truest truth, I had to take a holistic approach.
As I sorted through the confusion around what to do with my life, I discovered the simpler I make my life, the more room there is for fulfillment.
READY TO START YOUR DISCOVERY?
So, to get you started, here are a few contemplations for today. May you enjoy the journey of discovering you!
Ask yourself what you enjoy about the tasks on your plate today. Surely, there must be a few things.
- Maybe it is that you like to move stack A to stack B or you like talking to this one Dcustomer who always sounds happy to hear from you.
- Maybe it is the sense of satisfaction when your new widget sells or your writing project is done or you’ve created a beautiful meal for your patrons or the traffic was light as you delivered packages or you had a great conversation with the person you drove to the airport.
- And maybe it was about finally figuring out the process to save a few bucks or minutes. Maybe you finally mastered that Excel function. Learning is delicious and gives you a bit of a rush.
What do you enjoy about this day’s tasks?
What is one way you can use your time for good today? Take out the papers and the trash, as the song goes.
- Look into the eyes of your dear ones and tell them something you appreciate about them.
- Do those five pushups you promised yourself you would do. It takes a minute.
- Stretch your stiff body.
- Walk in the yard fast or slow, however you choose.
What is that thing that you can do in less than five minutes that will benefit you immensely? Take just a few minutes, this moment in time, and allow yourself to breathe and be.
What is one small choice you can make about money today?
- Choose to pay towards your debt instead of adding to it.
- Choose to listen to a podcast about the basics of investing
- Read a book on the basics of investing like The Simple Path to Wealth by J. L. Collins. It’s a book he wrote for his teenage daughter to help her get a hold of the basics. (I may earn a small commission on this book if you buy it – but I never recommend something that I haven’t used or tested myself).
- Ask yourself one hard question about your relationship with money. Need suggestions? Pick up Your Money or Your Life or LIFElihood.
Set an intention for today as soon as you finish reading this. Maybe start small. Set an intention for the next hour. Baby steps!
- I will not swear for the next 60 minutes.
- I will only say positive words to my spouse.
- I will not let nervousness stop me from making the phone call.
Best wishes to you on this day! Be intentional and watch your dreams come true.